February 2021

 I know my titles are really boring lately; life is not.


We learned about minerals and crystals in our geology unit. (Sugar is not a mineral, but it forms crystals as it grows, so we used it as an analogy.) Note - unexpected "experiment" - Wooden skewers grow rock candy better than lollipop sticks.

 

Carolyn used some money she's earned to buy herself a wooden castle toy with knights and dragons from the craft store. She's had fun painting it all fancy and to look medieval, which is likely her favorite time period to learn about.

Natalie wanted a drip cake. I think they turned out ok, but I tried using candy melts, and it was so hard to cut through that I destroyed the cake in cutting it. (I like very basic cake decorating, but nothing very complicated. I wish my high school best friend still lived nearby; I'd just commission her to do it.) Some of my sister-in-laws are good with this sort of thing.

Natalie loving her weighted blanket for her birthday!
 reading
Kaitlyn has played and played for us from her new piano song book. They're a little above her sight reading level, so it's perfect for her to grow and learn.

Seth does class in his blanket/cape.

Last day of virtual school - finishing up PE class. (The teacher let them do an easy walking work out for the last day of the semester.)



I was sad to see them go, but they enjoy it in person, and some things are easier. The house is cleaner and quieter, but I spend over an hour a day in drop off & pick up.



"I'm being Moroni"

My mom and my grandma were in town for a day, and it was so nice to visit with them, even if only briefly. Grandma is so good with kids. Gideon is not a quick-to-love you kid, but she got him to play with her and give her kisses within a few minutes of being with us. I love getting to visit with my mom and my grandma.

I do not love painting, but I am getting really good at it over the years. The three oldest girls and I painted their room valentine's weekend. I think I'm all painted out for a while now!

Early prep/edging:


It's finished! I want to get new curtains that are lighter. They also need some form of a closet. Natalie has a rolling rack, and the other 2 had their closet racks removed from the wall to paint (and not put back up because they are too short and tacky). I will work on it slowly over the next few months to get it neat. (We removed the love seat / chaise lounge to fit the desk and books for Carolyn.)

Kaitlyn's getting really close with that split goal!


The 15th was a school holiday, so we took the day off from homeschooling too. Carolyn made muffins to deliver to some sisters in the ward (her own plan, effort, and delivering/visiting).

Kaitlyn made bath bombs.

Natalie made hot chocolate bombs.

Alee drew a picture for Memere.

Gideon "helped" me purchase curtains for our master bedroom, and then "helped" Rob and me hang the curtains in our bedroom.

They're very light and match the wall well; they almost blend in, but I like them. I can put color elsewhere in the room (pillows, blankets, etc.)

We also finally hung the TV, but haven't hung our diplomas or other art.


Natalie participated in regional orchestra this weekend. I was so excited for her.

Gideon participated in a "Friend-to-Friend event" for primary children - a broadcast worldwide. He followed the instructions to draw him praying. It was such a cute event, and he participated in the songs and coloring part.

He loves his new dinosaur clothes!

The family was having fun tonight taking a break from the busy week (and Rob taking a break from his always busy Sunday) to make some music. I love when they do this!

I'm 39 now, by the way. We are happy and doing well; school is going well for all 3 in both forms of public school, and homeschool is going well for the others. Rob is keeping up. I am keeping up. I continue to rearrange the house and the schedule in my search for order in the chaos. :)

Comments