2020 - The beginning of a new decade


Gideon got his first haircut ever. (Yes, at 2 1/2 years old.)
He wanted me to use the clippers, but then he was afraid, so it was half scissor cut and half clippers cut, all while he was moving! (In the collage, the after pictures are up top and the before pictures are at the bottom.) I did cut it everywhere, but since he basically had a mohawk going on up top before I cut, it really doesn't look that different.


Kaitlyn made this cool project. (I think the teacher had in mind one shoebox style project, but Kaitlyn is an overachiever and went with her envisioned idea. I'm sure the rest of the class hated that it was awesome. At least that's what I thought as she showed it to us.) :) I thought it was awesome. I never would have thought to engineer it to move and shift.
It's "broadway in a box" for her drama class, and she chose Annie. The side "stages" move to go over the doll that is affixed. When you pull back the "curtains," one box has a background picture printed to represent the orphanage and the other a mansion.

We're memorizing scriptures this year with our study. The first (which is also the youth theme) is from 1 Nephi 3:7.
 "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father, I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

Even Gideon is back to "school" - library story time is finally a success!



Our first project of 2020 - painting the 2 doors. (The red door is from our upstairs porch. The gray is the after color, but it from our downstairs door.)



Natalie got braces on January 16th.

Next project - painting the kitchen. We did all the walls, baseboards, and crown molding, but the door and window trim is not yet complete. (We planned to get to the dining and then den, but we have some new things on the list that might slow that process.)
 (You can see the very light gray getting started around the cabinets, covering up the beige.)

This helps to see some of the old and new side by side.

Other fun...
Gideon only likes "marshmallows and stars" (Lucky Charms) for cereal choice. He eats the marshmallows, drinks the milk, and then (if we don't take the bowl of soggy boring stars away from him) he will dump the wet soggy mess onto the table or floor. Needless to say, cereal is not a common breakfast I give him. (I'm not even sure why this was chosen or who got him started on this cereal...why not cheerios??)

Alee was doing a moon log for school and I took this picture one morning in case she didn't get outside before it got too light that morning. I thought I'd post it just because I think the moon is pretty. I love the night sky. (I can't decide if I love the night sky or the beach more?)

Seth got an "Be All You Can Be" award.

I love to find Alee reading scriptures. (I sneakily snapped this picture.)

Our newest adventure...Rob was called as bishop of our ward; he was sustained this past Sunday.

Alee had a chorus concert at school.


The twins got gift cards and combined it with money they'd been saving, and they got iPhones. (They aren't the latest model, but they're modern enough, and they aren't hand-me-downs, so the twins are super excited!) They picked out cases and they look so teenage-like walking around with their "real" phones. Here they were just unboxing things...I'll post a good picture later!
 Speaking of teenage - they are officially teenagers this week! I can't believe I have FOUR teenagers! How old am I??

And on the other end of the spectrum I am kept young by my toddler. I forget that it takes forever to get anything done with a toddler. (He is getting faster at going potty and washing hands. Sometimes.)
He has a new obsession with picking out toe lint. (It's almost every time he takes off socks. We are going to be a fan of sandals this summer!)

Just like all the others, Carolyn is also back into school in full swing. Do you know what this is?
(I wouldn't have if we weren't studying it! It kind of looks like a planet.) This is a sponge (the living kind, but not living anymore of course); it's a prepared slide. We're studying invertebrates. They're kind of cool. (Think corals and sea anemone...oh and worms...not so cool ones too.)


Our neighbors were getting rid of this yard toy, so they let us have it. Gideon loves his new pirate ship.

My toddler looks so big here! He reminds me multiple times a day that he's my baby!



January Quotes and Happenings:

Bailey family nest
I like to sit on the couch, mostly on my side, with my legs curled up so that my legs form a triangle with the back of the couch. When Seth was little; he'd find me sitting this way and ask, "Can I sit in your nest?" He wanted to cuddle with me in that little spot. Ever since then, all the kids have called it a nest.
As we were having a conversation one day, Natalie says, "Wait, I thought everybody called it that?" Nope it is just something our family says!

When I tried Gideon in real underwear for a week, I'd make him sit on top of my yoga mat (with an old blanket on top) to protect the couch. He said one day, "I don't want mom's exercise mat. I don't want the snowman bwanket." (It's ok, you're wearing a pull-up, you don't have to.)
[He was doing ok with underwear, but it stresses me out since our couch and carpet are still new and they were expensive, so we went back to pull-ups. He continues to progress, so I'm content with slow progress. Even my best potty trainers took months to really get it.]

Gideon asked, "Where is Jesus?" (He meant the Jesus block figure as part of his "Bible blocks".)
Alee (not knowing where it was answered, "He is not here for He is risen."
(LOL. True... Glad our new testament study "stuck" in her mind! Actually, I think that quote came from our Easter song. Music is powerful.)

Two-year olds are complicated
Gideon: "It's dark."
Mom: "Yes it's dark."
Gideon: "It's not dark."
Mom drops off conversation because she refuses to fight with the two-year-old.
Gideon continues to argue with himself whether or not it's dark. Then asks, "Is it dark?"

"I don't want you to eat food off the floor."
"It makes me healphy." ("No, I don't think it does.") "Wook at me. I'm healphy.)


Natalie gave her first talk in sacrament meeting (in front of the congregation). It was about prayer.

Someone said something that shouldn't have been said, and Gideon immediately repeated it. Loudly! We try not to laugh when he says something inappropriate, but sometimes it's just so... Just so something... This was one of those times, and none of us could contain our laughter born of shock, and we gave in laughing. Of course then, Gideon ran around repeating the bad phrase and the worst portion of it over and over while running around the room. Kaitlyn said what we were all thinking, "This is terrible but so funny."

Kaitlyn's take on the weather: "It's a beautiful day when the sky is wrapped in a gray blanket." (Then she added, "and put in a freezer").

When Gideon is excited about doing something or seeing someone, he says, "I so excited!" (Pronouced: es-sited)
Natalie: "I so excited!" (Mimicking Gideon, but in a cute way, over some activity we were going to do for scripture study.)
Gideon: "You are not so excited."

Gideon's favorite phrase is whatever phrase was last said, but negated. (Were my others so contrary as he?)

To Granddaddy who likes to pick up Gideon fast, "Be careful with Mommy's baby!" ha!
(Gideon refers to himself in the 3rd person as "Mommy's baby" regularly. Sometimes he will say, "Mommy's toddler.")

And so ends January. (I'll begin February with pictures of the twins officially 13 years old.)

Our favorite phrasing from Gideon is "I'm am..." as in "Are you hungry?" "I'm am hungry."

When he finally got home from church, Rob asked what I was working on over here.
Beth: "I'm blogging...the last 6 weeks of our lives." (I did this post and the previous post back to back.)
He laughed and translated that to be 3 months "in dog years"...it does feel like these things are several months worth of "adventures" - especially the past 2 weeks!

Comments