Spring time Recitals and other fun stuff
Spring is here - and so are the critters that go with that season! (They tried to help the lizard out of the porch, but in the end someone accidentally took off its tail. I hear the tail will grow back on lizards. Hope that's true.) My little animal lovin' children. We also stopped on the way home from church on Mother's day to help a turtle who'd only made it half way across the road finish crossing safely.
Two months to go!
Things are going "normally" - nothing to report.
Because I took my first month's picture in gray, I've tried to stick with gray for my monthly picture, but I think it's probably the shirt that hides the true size more than any other. I feel (and probably look) bigger than this.
We are winding down all the activities and the crazy schedules and getting ready for a calm (?!) summer. :)
The older two had "recitals" in orchestra class last Friday (small group ensembles). I only have videos of this. Seth's group played the mission impossible theme, and Carolyn's group played Spring from Vivaldi's Four Seasons concertos.
That night we were super busy with dance rehearsals. (Each rehearsal only lasted about 15 minutes, but to be there at the right time and to wait between dances meant some of us were there for 5 hours!)
Kaitlyn and Alee were first - they did 2 dances (jazz and ballet) plus the opening number to prepare for the matinee recital on Saturday.
The loved the cool light sticks that were part of the opening number. (It was pretty festive when the lights went out and all you could see was the (mostly) synchronized glow sticks.)
Kaitlyn's at the point where she knows what she's doing and she's mostly on beat and remembering the moves.
Alee and her cousin were cute dancing. All three were part of the same class.
I believe that Chloe especially loved the way her circle skirt twirled.
Alee thinks she's a rock star! Alee's undecided between baton (at dance) or gymnastics (at the place we were last year) for her extra-curricular next year. I like them all at the same place for my convenience and budget, but I do think gymnastics would give her the level of activity to match her energy. (And the class times are more flexible.) We shall see...
They had a class of 10 girls ranging in age from 7-10. (This is Kaitlyn's last year to be able to take a combo class. She's thinking of doing lyrical next year with Natalie.)
When actual recital day came, things went smoothly and we were everywhere we needed to be on time. Except for being on time for Alee's bedtime! Because Natalie's session of the recital started at 7 pm, and she was in Act II, it was nearly 8:30 before she performed. The low light picture is hard to see, but I think you can see how things went for recital #2 that day! Alee just wanted to curl up on someone and go to sleep.
We all made it through the day and it was fun. (Yes, even Seth survived 2 dance recitals.)
Although I'm not a big fan of flowers, my girls love them! They got bouquets from each of their grandparents that attended - one all fresh flowers and the other a (faux) flower & candy bouquet. They loved them all, and Natalie set up the table for mother's day with their arrangements.
My book (which is my mother's day present I asked for) should come in sometime next week.
Several of the kids wrote me letters or cards. I like how Alee's handwriting has become very tall and skinny this year in her attempt to have neat legible writing.
Last night Carolyn and the other young women put on a "fashion show" for the Wednesday night activity (combined YW and Activity Days girls) - the YW showed off both dressy and casual modest attire and the 8-11 year old girls were invited to attend and watch and clap (along with parents and families). Carolyn was in charge of the food. She did a great job, but I think she might be ready to learn about delegation for her next activity! (Other girls were in charge of set up or decorations, and they all worked together for their outfits, make up, and hair.)
And to fully finish out our activities for the school year, we will hold our annual spring/summer recital on Memorial Day.
(I know most family is out of town - it's ok! We will broadcast live on either ustream or YouTube - depending on which one I can make work better.) I will email the link (and a copy of our program) the weekend of the recital.
Natalie's new swimsuit - I can't get all the projects done I used to when they were little, but I do manage to fit in the ones they care about most. I told her last year I would sew a custom swimsuit for her (exactly what she wanted), so I did. After two months of the fabric and pattern sitting on my table. (She wanted dress style, but one piece, sleeves, and flattering.)
She looks cute in circle skirt at an empire waist (so I altered the pattern to fit what she likes). Now both twins are ready for that end-of-the-year field trip to the splash pad. (They are having a German picnic next week - ordering in German from a food truck and having a picnic and play time at the Saluda Shoals splash pad.)
Two months to go!
Things are going "normally" - nothing to report.
Because I took my first month's picture in gray, I've tried to stick with gray for my monthly picture, but I think it's probably the shirt that hides the true size more than any other. I feel (and probably look) bigger than this.
We are winding down all the activities and the crazy schedules and getting ready for a calm (?!) summer. :)
The older two had "recitals" in orchestra class last Friday (small group ensembles). I only have videos of this. Seth's group played the mission impossible theme, and Carolyn's group played Spring from Vivaldi's Four Seasons concertos.
That night we were super busy with dance rehearsals. (Each rehearsal only lasted about 15 minutes, but to be there at the right time and to wait between dances meant some of us were there for 5 hours!)
Kaitlyn and Alee were first - they did 2 dances (jazz and ballet) plus the opening number to prepare for the matinee recital on Saturday.
The loved the cool light sticks that were part of the opening number. (It was pretty festive when the lights went out and all you could see was the (mostly) synchronized glow sticks.)
Kaitlyn's at the point where she knows what she's doing and she's mostly on beat and remembering the moves.
Alee and her cousin were cute dancing. All three were part of the same class.
I believe that Chloe especially loved the way her circle skirt twirled.
Alee thinks she's a rock star! Alee's undecided between baton (at dance) or gymnastics (at the place we were last year) for her extra-curricular next year. I like them all at the same place for my convenience and budget, but I do think gymnastics would give her the level of activity to match her energy. (And the class times are more flexible.) We shall see...
They had a class of 10 girls ranging in age from 7-10. (This is Kaitlyn's last year to be able to take a combo class. She's thinking of doing lyrical next year with Natalie.)
Natalie was there at the rehearsal with us by 4 pm, but her opening number rehearsal didn't start until 8:40 pm, so she stuck it out the 5 hours with me. She tried to help get videos on my phone while I took videos on my nice camera, but videos in stage lighting are tricky (we both found).
When actual recital day came, things went smoothly and we were everywhere we needed to be on time. Except for being on time for Alee's bedtime! Because Natalie's session of the recital started at 7 pm, and she was in Act II, it was nearly 8:30 before she performed. The low light picture is hard to see, but I think you can see how things went for recital #2 that day! Alee just wanted to curl up on someone and go to sleep.
We all made it through the day and it was fun. (Yes, even Seth survived 2 dance recitals.)
Although I'm not a big fan of flowers, my girls love them! They got bouquets from each of their grandparents that attended - one all fresh flowers and the other a (faux) flower & candy bouquet. They loved them all, and Natalie set up the table for mother's day with their arrangements.
My book (which is my mother's day present I asked for) should come in sometime next week.
Several of the kids wrote me letters or cards. I like how Alee's handwriting has become very tall and skinny this year in her attempt to have neat legible writing.
Last night Carolyn and the other young women put on a "fashion show" for the Wednesday night activity (combined YW and Activity Days girls) - the YW showed off both dressy and casual modest attire and the 8-11 year old girls were invited to attend and watch and clap (along with parents and families). Carolyn was in charge of the food. She did a great job, but I think she might be ready to learn about delegation for her next activity! (Other girls were in charge of set up or decorations, and they all worked together for their outfits, make up, and hair.)
Tonight we finish all activities - dance pictures (professional) and PTA (film festival for the elementary school). The girls are hoping they win the award for whatever their films were nominated. We'll be running between those two activities (while Rob is at a church meeting and the oldest two stay home and catch up on homework). We'll be late to the second, but hopefully we will only miss the boring part at the beginning! :)
And to fully finish out our activities for the school year, we will hold our annual spring/summer recital on Memorial Day.
(I know most family is out of town - it's ok! We will broadcast live on either ustream or YouTube - depending on which one I can make work better.) I will email the link (and a copy of our program) the weekend of the recital.







Comments
Post a Comment