6 more days of school left
Ahhh...we've finished extra curricular for the school year!
We went last Thursday to dance class (last one - just for pictures) and to PTA (yep, the same night, of course, and overlapping in time too). The PTA we attended because they've started doing a film festival at the end of the year to award students with some of the best video projects in each subject. The twins were both nominated in a class project and Kaitlyn was also nominated for a small group project. Alee was bored to death the 30 minutes we were there and complained often because she wasn't going to be getting anything and it was close to bedtime.
The class group project got a runner up (ribbons), and Kaitlyn's small group project won in its category. (She got this cheap little plastic trophy the everyone wants to win.) I wish we could have entered Natalie's butterfly video from last summer - it would definitely have won an award in a school video competition.
Since we had to be dressed up for dance pictures, our "hollywood finest" dress was dance costumes. I did place an order for a class picture for each (which cost a ridiculous $17 for an 8x10), but I decided just to take my own individual pictures at home. I am limited with my screen size/type and I am not good with lighting yet, but they're just for the scrapbook anyways. (It's not like I'm going to frame dance pictures for the wall.) I probably should edit them a little more, but I didn't have time for that, so they're only cropped to get the non-white background out of the picture.
Kaitlyn - ballet
Alee Ballet
Alee Jazz
Kaitlyn Jazz
Natalie Lyrical
My 3 dancers
Saturday, May 21st
We finished the yard (well, sort of); we finished the left bushes area, but not the area around the tree next to it.
Before:
(See the tree with all the bags of mulch around it? The stones are lined up on the porch under the railing.) We don't really have any free Saturdays before the baby is due; we have pieces of free Saturdays and some free weeknights. It was SO very hot (2 weeks makes a big difference), and we did the purchasing of stuff and the work all in one day (instead of purchasing the day before like we did for the first side), and everyone was exhausted!
Other funny quotes:
When we went shopping for Seth's suit and Kaitlyn's swimsuit, we were leaving the first store and Kaitlyn tried to hold Seth's hand while we were walking through the parking lot. Seth wouldn't let her, and I excused his behavior and explained that he's too old to hold an adult's hand and too young to hold a (teenage) girl's hand, but maybe if he had a little little sister (like a 2 year old), he would hold her hand.
Kaitlyn: "I am a little little girl."
Beth: "No, you're not little little, so it looks funny for him to hold your hand because you don't have to have someone hold your hand."
Kaitlyn: "But I want to."
Beth: "But he doesn't."
Kaitlyn: "Just a way to crush a little girl's dreams!"
(She has some drama in her.)
We went to eat with Rob's mom at Fuddruckers one night when she was passing through Columbia on her way back home. Some of the kids played a game machine and won a bouncy ball. Alee annoyingly kept bouncing hers and having to chase it. Rob warned he'd take it away until we got home if she bounced it again.
Alee a few minutes later: "What did you say would happen if I bounce it again?"
(Put it in my pocket until we get home.)
Alee: "That isn't too bad. If I accidentally bounce it..."
(She didn't for a few minutes, but then forgot and bounced it again, so he took it away.)
Alee: "I was holding it and it rolled off because I have slippy fingers!"
We used several gift cards to go out to eat the night of our exhausting yard work, and at the restaurant a variety of songs was playing over the speakers (many from the 1990's, but also songs from other more recent decades too). Rob jumped in and sang along to some of them (usually just on a favorite line or two).
Carolyn: "How do you know all these songs?!"
Alee: "Because Dad is super old!"
My mother's day present came in. As suspected, the rest of the family loves it too! (Pictures shown are front cover, back cover, and several inside pages.)
I cut up the first watermelon of the season for us, and as I cut I thought, the hardest part about cutting up a watermelon is trying not to eat it as I cut it!
Then the girls came in and saw my rind pieces with a little red left. (There is no more red left now!) I only cut half of it, and most of it is plated and wrapped with plastic wrap. The latecomers to this picture (and Seth who hides out in other rooms) complained that the first to notice what I was doing "ate all the watermelon". (Not true, but they probably would have had I not plated and wrapped the part that is for supper tonight!)
I'm always short on magnets, so I bought some magnet circles and dollar tree stones. I was only going to make a few, but the girls wanted to make some, so we now have 36 new magnets. (Left to right - made by Natalie, Carolyn, Kaitlyn, Alee)
The twins both earned their "black belts" for recorder today in music class.
(That means this year they have played a song to pass off each recorder karate level to reach the highest level for the 4th grade recorder.) I'm really proud of them for practicing regularly to pass off each "belt" (the little tassel things hanging from the bottom of Kaitlyn's recorder are her belts).
Practice isn't required outside of class, but encouraged, and the belts are just a fun way to get the kids to progress in recorder. (Their music teacher was thankful for their efforts too.)
They will each have a recorder duet in our memorial day recital. :)
We went last Thursday to dance class (last one - just for pictures) and to PTA (yep, the same night, of course, and overlapping in time too). The PTA we attended because they've started doing a film festival at the end of the year to award students with some of the best video projects in each subject. The twins were both nominated in a class project and Kaitlyn was also nominated for a small group project. Alee was bored to death the 30 minutes we were there and complained often because she wasn't going to be getting anything and it was close to bedtime.
The class group project got a runner up (ribbons), and Kaitlyn's small group project won in its category. (She got this cheap little plastic trophy the everyone wants to win.) I wish we could have entered Natalie's butterfly video from last summer - it would definitely have won an award in a school video competition.
Since we had to be dressed up for dance pictures, our "hollywood finest" dress was dance costumes. I did place an order for a class picture for each (which cost a ridiculous $17 for an 8x10), but I decided just to take my own individual pictures at home. I am limited with my screen size/type and I am not good with lighting yet, but they're just for the scrapbook anyways. (It's not like I'm going to frame dance pictures for the wall.) I probably should edit them a little more, but I didn't have time for that, so they're only cropped to get the non-white background out of the picture.
Kaitlyn - ballet
Alee Ballet
Before the recital, Rob got the costumes at the parents meeting, and he reminded the girls very strictly that they were NOT to put on the costumes unless Mom told them to. They were even't to ask to put them on. (I did need to try them on and make some adjustments, but we didn't want anything happening to these expensive costumes before the recital or pictures.)
Alee: "What if I accidentally try it on?"
(Alee, people don't accidentally put on or take off clothes.)
Alee Jazz
Kaitlyn Jazz
Natalie Lyrical
My 3 dancers
Saturday, May 21st
We finished the yard (well, sort of); we finished the left bushes area, but not the area around the tree next to it.
Before:
In the before pictures our grass needed mowing really badly. Seth borrowed a neighbor's mower while ours was in the shop for the first weekend in May. For this recent weekend, we had already gotten it back, so he used ours.
When it first broke, he came in to report the problem to Rob.
"...and some metal piece fell out."
Rob investigated and explained, "Well, son, that's the blade." (Only the important part that does the cutting!)
Alee keeps calling it a "mowlawner".
After:
(See the tree with all the bags of mulch around it? The stones are lined up on the porch under the railing.) We don't really have any free Saturdays before the baby is due; we have pieces of free Saturdays and some free weeknights. It was SO very hot (2 weeks makes a big difference), and we did the purchasing of stuff and the work all in one day (instead of purchasing the day before like we did for the first side), and everyone was exhausted!
It was so stinkin' sunny! Where's an overcast day when you need it??
And we found several unwanted critters while we worked, so after the second, I was done! Yuk! (The first one Rob shoveled into this bucket. The second was moving fast near Seth and I, so Rob came over and took care of it. This one is actually still in the bucket - with dirt, grass, and rain water.)
I don't like snakes, but without it threatening me, I don't want to kill it, but I don't want to release it back in my yard either! Seth (of course) wants to release it back. The girls hope it just dies without us having to kill it.
When we went shopping for Seth's suit and Kaitlyn's swimsuit, we were leaving the first store and Kaitlyn tried to hold Seth's hand while we were walking through the parking lot. Seth wouldn't let her, and I excused his behavior and explained that he's too old to hold an adult's hand and too young to hold a (teenage) girl's hand, but maybe if he had a little little sister (like a 2 year old), he would hold her hand.
Kaitlyn: "I am a little little girl."
Beth: "No, you're not little little, so it looks funny for him to hold your hand because you don't have to have someone hold your hand."
Kaitlyn: "But I want to."
Beth: "But he doesn't."
Kaitlyn: "Just a way to crush a little girl's dreams!"
(She has some drama in her.)
We went to eat with Rob's mom at Fuddruckers one night when she was passing through Columbia on her way back home. Some of the kids played a game machine and won a bouncy ball. Alee annoyingly kept bouncing hers and having to chase it. Rob warned he'd take it away until we got home if she bounced it again.
Alee a few minutes later: "What did you say would happen if I bounce it again?"
(Put it in my pocket until we get home.)
Alee: "That isn't too bad. If I accidentally bounce it..."
(She didn't for a few minutes, but then forgot and bounced it again, so he took it away.)
Alee: "I was holding it and it rolled off because I have slippy fingers!"
We used several gift cards to go out to eat the night of our exhausting yard work, and at the restaurant a variety of songs was playing over the speakers (many from the 1990's, but also songs from other more recent decades too). Rob jumped in and sang along to some of them (usually just on a favorite line or two).
Carolyn: "How do you know all these songs?!"
Alee: "Because Dad is super old!"
My mother's day present came in. As suspected, the rest of the family loves it too! (Pictures shown are front cover, back cover, and several inside pages.)
I cut up the first watermelon of the season for us, and as I cut I thought, the hardest part about cutting up a watermelon is trying not to eat it as I cut it!
Then the girls came in and saw my rind pieces with a little red left. (There is no more red left now!) I only cut half of it, and most of it is plated and wrapped with plastic wrap. The latecomers to this picture (and Seth who hides out in other rooms) complained that the first to notice what I was doing "ate all the watermelon". (Not true, but they probably would have had I not plated and wrapped the part that is for supper tonight!)
I'm always short on magnets, so I bought some magnet circles and dollar tree stones. I was only going to make a few, but the girls wanted to make some, so we now have 36 new magnets. (Left to right - made by Natalie, Carolyn, Kaitlyn, Alee)
The twins both earned their "black belts" for recorder today in music class.
(That means this year they have played a song to pass off each recorder karate level to reach the highest level for the 4th grade recorder.) I'm really proud of them for practicing regularly to pass off each "belt" (the little tassel things hanging from the bottom of Kaitlyn's recorder are her belts).
Practice isn't required outside of class, but encouraged, and the belts are just a fun way to get the kids to progress in recorder. (Their music teacher was thankful for their efforts too.)
They will each have a recorder duet in our memorial day recital. :)






















Comments
Post a Comment