School year starting

Not much has happened since school started - well, ok, a lot has happened, but it's the all the time every day kind of stuff. Here are some fun highlights (or at least the ones I took pictures of).

One Wednesday night recently some members of our ward brought kittens they rescued and are caring for. My kids were in love. (And they were cute holding them.) But I don't like cats and I don't want more pets. I think I said "No" about 20 times that one evening alone.

We went up to Rob's parents to visit and the girls all made bread in a bag. Most made loaves, but Alee did hers in little muffin shapes.

The girls decided to do dance for their extra curricular this year. (Recital is mother's day weekend for anyone that wants to mark the calendar now!) This is Alee's first year.


She signed up for baton, but then was really sad that her (favorite) sister and cousin were in the same dance class and she was separate. So this week, we switched her to a jazz/ballet combo class.





I think it's cute when they use their imagination to just play. (She's being a vet.)

Labor day we went to the pool one last time. (Unfortunately, it was the one day that the weather cooled down to beautiful fall weather so the water was a little cool for me. No one else seemed to care. And more unfortunately, it went back to like 90 degrees the next day. Boo!)



Seth helped to catch a frog that got into the pool using his handkerchief-covered hand.

We're trying something new for behaviors we're trying to correct. We call it the "Be Nice Bonus". We gave them each $2 in coins. They lose one for undesirable behaviors. The sign says:
"Kindness cost nothing but....Quarreling costs you a Quarter, Duties shirked costs you a Dime, Negativity costs you a Nickel." (We didn't want to deal with pennies.) We have a jar to collect all fines.

Left your light on before school? ---Put a dime in the jar.
Forgot to make your bed?--- Dime!
Whined when I reminded you to take out the trash? ---Nickel!
Fought over the seat you both wanted? ---Quarter each!
Said something mean to your sister? ---Quarter!

(Whatever is left in each person's bowl at the end of a few weeks or a month - haven't decided how long each session lasts? - they get to keep. They'll pay tithing and savings on it just like any money they get and the rest is theirs - like a bonus.)

Like all our "great ideas", I doubt it will last forever, but we're hoping to make some things more obvious that they are doing by charging for them (but not hurting their earned/gifted money). We've noticed a lot more bedroom lights turned off. :)

Just a fun moment with the girls (and some friends) "toasting" to Friday night pizza. (Soda is more fun in fancy glasses.)

The rest of this is just boring stuff about us that parents/grandparents would be interested in reading and that I would like to have in print.

Kids Update:

As far as school goes, the youngest three are doing well. Natalie signed up for "safety patrol" so she helps with the car rider line after school. I thought it would make us late to pick up the other two. We are far back in the line, but Carolyn is slower than molasses and comes out about 10 minutes after Seth, so we're not late at all for her.

I love having the twins in the same class. I told them they are to study with each other for tests and quizzes - I put them together for my convenience, not theirs. They are both doing well so far. They are in 4th grade

Alee has only been "sick" on Fridays so far this year, which is funny b/c one of her favorite related arts (PE) is on Friday. I think it's just "end of the week, I'm done with this" kind of feeling. (me too!) Also, I hope her teacher evaluates reading levels soon, because I don't like the boring little 10-word books she's bringing home for homework; Alee agrees. She's in 1st grade.

{Evaluations done...her books got much harder. Now they're too long for her attention span!}

And the middle school kids?

So far, classes are going well. Seth switched his "boring" keyboarding class to an art class the first week, and he loves it. School was the best school day ever the day he switched classes. (We had hoped they would be able to work out him being in both honors chorus and honors orchestra, but the schedule wouldn't work for 2 year long electives, and PE is required, so he's just in orchestra. But at least he has art this semester. If only he could take classes in all the arts! (He loves everything arts - visual, musical, I think he'd even enjoy theater.) I think 8th grade is going to be a good year for him.

Carolyn is adjusting to middle school like she was made for it. May it continue! She's in 6th grade. Her grades are good, she's confident, she's helpful, she's driven. (She showed me papers for signing up for student government, but I have no idea if she actually turned them in. I don't have time for hand holding them through their interests...I'll sign the paper and drive them there on time. I'm not helping to write the essay or get it turned in.) She did sign up to volunteer at the library again like she did over the summer, and she absolutely loves that. She made 4 varieties of fudge for us today with a friend. (I went in about half way through to help.)

{She did not decide to do student government.}

Beth and Rob update:
Rob's been working a new schedule (four 10 hour days followed by Fridays off). We're still deciding if we both like it. {Update: He switched back to every other Friday off Flex schedule.}

I am so busy with primary (church) stuff for upcoming events that I haven't had time to start scrapbooking or sewing projects yet this school year. I have a feeling once I get those settled, the school volunteering will get busy. I'll catch up those scrapbooks some day... :)

Comments