The School year is over and Summer Vacation is here!


The beginning of May the three oldest girls got to go on a field trip (all together - agp classes for 3rd through 5th) to the state museum, including the Julius Caesar exhibit. 



That same week, I labeled all the school days remaining in May (and June) and started our yearly "Counting down the days":

We decided to erase each day as it was over, so our calendar would slowly disappear. so this is the first half of the month gone. Here's what we did as we counted down:

Carolyn had a 1 day Stake Activity Day for 11-year old girls (like the one done for the 11 year old scouts before they enter Young Men/Scouting the following year). She loved it. Her first time in a canoe.
 (Carolyn is the two braids blue shirt on the left)

Carolyn's end of the year strings concert, followed by ice cream treat. This is her teacher.


Pajama Day (I think that was P for her teacher's ABC countdown to end of school.)

Thursday night, the PTA held its first annual film festival. Two of Natalie's projects that were videos were nominated (in 2 different categories).
 All the nominees got a Limo ride around the parking lot.
 So that they could walk into the festival in style, red carpet and all.
 They asked everyone to show up in their Hollywood finest. So we did. Because we make a big deal out of accomplishments to support each other.
At least that's what we keep telling them. Alee hasn't quite caught on yet to the idea of supporting each other...it'll come. (Right?)

Anxiously awaiting the winners to be announced....
 She didn't end up winning first in either category, but being one of the top 3 in two different categories, in my opinion, is an accomplishment in itself. It's ok - she learned some basic video skills and wants to learn more this summer. And there's always next year! (Isn't she beautiful?)

Saturday we needed to do some swimsuit shopping. Belk rarely has what I'm looking for, but the kids love the escalator!

Only one child was successful in our shopping, and few of us enjoy shopping (I know, we're girls, we're supposed to like shopping. But I don't, and when nothing fits right, they don't either.)
So, we got a gourmet apple to split. That was certainly enjoyable!


 Alee was in coloring club for the last 10 weeks (ending in early May) and this is her self portrait.
 FIELD DAY!
 Alee has been to many field days (because I go every year to watch the kids), but this was her first as a student. She loved it. Only disappointment: her class had to skip the parachute station. Ah man! That is the best one!

The older girls had theirs the next day...
 Except Carolyn didn't get to go because we found a little bug...or 2...or more. :(
Fortunately (or unfortunately - however you want to look at it!), getting rid of lice is a talent I have gained over the past 6 years of Carolyn's life. So, we got rid of the little buggers quickly. She did miss a 2nd day of school, which was the field trip to visit the middle school. :(

But, we were clean in time for 5th grade graduation. 

 Carolyn got several awards, including Presidential award. She got all A's all year long. Woohoo! (Only 5th grader this year to do that...school's getting harder!)

Thank goodness! 
(Because in addition to it being a big deal, I was co-chair on the committee to plan the cookout at the splash pad!)


Saturday was all work and no play.

Monday (Memorial day) was all play and no work (well, as close as you can get being parents)
We had no plans other than our work was done, but we have some friends that we always love to spend time with that are as busy as we are and who also happened to have no plans for Monday. So, we made an impromptu trip to the lake to cookout and swim.



All the kids helped Rob put together a little building/block set of the Salt Lake Temple (company was Brick'em Young. haha) It took them a while. Never taking that one apart!

Then, I put my little lobsters to bed for our last 3 half days of school. (They got burned pretty badly Monday. I did use sunscreen, but I forget how fair my kids are and how often I need to reapply.)

Alee "graduated" from kindergarten Tuesday - we celebrated afterwards with Brunch with Memere at Cracker Barrel.

Kaitlyn insisted on trying out the science experiment Memere bought her that afternoon:
(She's making crystals.)

Last day of gymnastics!



Wednesday -  3rd grade awards and "beach celebration" (We made beach parfaits. I was in charge of food. One of their teachers had her son come DJ.)
Natalie and Kaitlyn both got awards for academics. (Both made A/B honor roll all year; Natalie got all A honor roll all year - only 3rd grader to accomplish that. Wow!)

Beach Sand: box of vanilla wafers and 3 oreos crushed in food processor
Ocean: vanilla yogurt and food coloring
Clouds: Whipped topping spray
Beach balls: fruit
Little umbrellas for fun!

I went ahead and started filling in June, so this is all June, except for the one square at the bottom for Last day of school (well, as Carolyn pointed out, that's June too, but it was originally listed at the end of May so that we could include it in our countdown.)

We finally made it!

Seth jumped in front out of awesome picture. boys...





 We jumped right into our summer vacation with time at the pool.
(We signed up for a season pass - got a great deal because of Rob's workplace.)

From now until the rest of the summer, I'll be silent...mostly...because one of our summer learning rotations is blogging, starting with Carolyn, who will be your writer for the next two weeks of summer fun. You'll hear from all 5 before I take back over again. :)

Happy Summer!

Comments

kim e said…
I loved traveling through all the celebrations through pictures. I will look forward to seeing the new blog authors at work:)