My kids are a little weird (which I think is normal)


First story...

On the way to school one morning, I was doing something with my hand that put it near enough to my face to smell peanut butter on it from having made lunch boxes that morning. (I usually wash them off because I hate PB and don't want to smell like it or taste like it.) But I guess I hadn't washed the PB off well enough that morning.


I asked whoever was in the front seat to get a wet wipe from the little organized compartment of "mary poppins" I have in the van. While Kaitlyn (I think it was?) was fishing out the wet wipe, Alee offered, "I could lick your hand for you."
(um, no thanks)

Next story...
My kids like to play this game called Minecraft. It's a video game where you build this little "world". There are different versions that are more creative and some that have some bit of competition or purpose other than just creating stuff (houses, animals, random other structures)...Rob sometimes plays with them and has created his own little world (which has rules so the kids don't destroy his creations like they can destroy the playroom). haha

Alee has made the following comments in regards to her little world:
  • "I made my house cute because I'm cute." 
  • "I have cakes in all my houses." 
(When she told me she had made "poop world", I discouraged that creation, so a few days later, she took my advice to change it to something better...what is it with little kids and bathroom words??)
  • "I made "poop world" "family world" so anyone can go there."


Next story...
No, Alee is not the only one who makes strange comments. On the way home from school last Friday, Seth kept repeating in the midst of attempted conversation "I am the great papyrus!"
(I'm not even sure what that was supposed to mean. Probably means he's losing his mind and it's time for school to be out. Right? :)

By the way, he wears this short sleeved hoodie from Saba and Nonny every day! (unless it's in the laundry) Can all grandparents from now on just always buy him shirts with hoods so he will wear more than 1 shirt?? :)


And sometimes instead of weird, I get sweet.

Last story...
Alee was aggravating Carolyn in church yesterday (common) and I probably could have made them both sit on opposite sides of me to fix it, but everyone wants to sit beside Mom, so I can't reward the misbehavior with privilege. Rob had to give a talk in the Spanish branch, so it was me and a bunch of girls.

So, I just kept giving quiet/silent church signals (sign language for sit down and be quiet and the ever-useful "death stare" that Moms give their children.) My death stare is not yet perfected, but it's significantly improved.
(In case you are unfamiliar with this term, the "death stare" is that "look" moms give with their eyes that says,"You had better behave right NOW or I will take you out and the consequences will be extremely unpleasant!")

So, after a few minutes, I see Alee pass a note to Carolyn, who was fuming with annoyance...

and I watched her as she read it. Then, I saw her face and watched her angry feelings melt just a little. (It's amazing what a little love can do.) Then a note was passed back...and another...and another...




...and so it continued.

I would have let it continue the rest of the meeting, but somehow Alee can't do anything quietly, so I had to put a stop to that too. Then she got hot and the first note turned into a fan, and then ended up in my church bag, so I saved it to write about. Because it was one of those moments worth writing down.







Comments