Adult Awards Day
Beth spends a wonderful amount of time chronicling the accomplishments of the kids, so I thought I'd take a moment and share one of hers.
Beth loves to be around the kids. She loved having them around the house during the preschool years, and was sad to see our youngest start school this year. So she decided to volunteer at their school, so she could still be around them.
She has chaperoned many field trips, and has a big one coming up with Seth- even though he's moved on to the much cooler Middle School era.
She also participates in the Reading Buddies program, where she reads with children that don't have that opportunity in the home.
I'm not completely sure how it worked, but it seemed like her role in Reading Buddies morphed into an additional assignment to give extra instruction to kids in 2 classrooms, not just reading. Each teacher evaluates the needs of her class, and then assigns Beth to give special attention or even instruction to help. In most cases, she works with individual kids or small groups that need extra attention, or that are behind in a subject.
She also volunteered to help with the yearbook, which was a natural progression for her photography and scrapbooking skill set. This year, she shouldered a massive part of that burden, and it monopolized many hours of her time. I confess that I expressed some resentment at having to share her with the yearbook for several months. Mostly, I felt she had too large a burden, but there was nothing I could do to lessen it, so I reacted from my impulse to protect her. But the project is done, the yearbook is brilliant, and she has committed to being just a PART of the project next year, not the main driver.
I'm probably leaving out other ways that she volunteers at the school, and I offer my apology to her for that.
Beth serves everyone around her- constantly. She commented the other day that between school, church callings, church friends, school friends, and family, she had filled every day in one particular week with service. My heart is filled with gratitude for such a wonderful example of selflessness.
Now to the point:
The principal of the elementary school recognized her as the Volunteer of the Year for the school! She went to a District luncheon, where other volunteers and community servants were recognized. Beth had been recommended as Volunteer of the Year at the District level as well. Here's her certificate, which I have doctored to protect privacy.
I know she doesn't do it for the recognition- she does it out of love. Not just for our children, but for all of the children she serves. She's a wonderful mother to many children around her, regardless of their actual parentage.
We all appreciate you, too, darling. And you are most definitely Outstanding!
Beth loves to be around the kids. She loved having them around the house during the preschool years, and was sad to see our youngest start school this year. So she decided to volunteer at their school, so she could still be around them.
She has chaperoned many field trips, and has a big one coming up with Seth- even though he's moved on to the much cooler Middle School era.
She also participates in the Reading Buddies program, where she reads with children that don't have that opportunity in the home.
I'm not completely sure how it worked, but it seemed like her role in Reading Buddies morphed into an additional assignment to give extra instruction to kids in 2 classrooms, not just reading. Each teacher evaluates the needs of her class, and then assigns Beth to give special attention or even instruction to help. In most cases, she works with individual kids or small groups that need extra attention, or that are behind in a subject.
She also volunteered to help with the yearbook, which was a natural progression for her photography and scrapbooking skill set. This year, she shouldered a massive part of that burden, and it monopolized many hours of her time. I confess that I expressed some resentment at having to share her with the yearbook for several months. Mostly, I felt she had too large a burden, but there was nothing I could do to lessen it, so I reacted from my impulse to protect her. But the project is done, the yearbook is brilliant, and she has committed to being just a PART of the project next year, not the main driver.
I'm probably leaving out other ways that she volunteers at the school, and I offer my apology to her for that.
Beth serves everyone around her- constantly. She commented the other day that between school, church callings, church friends, school friends, and family, she had filled every day in one particular week with service. My heart is filled with gratitude for such a wonderful example of selflessness.
Now to the point:
The principal of the elementary school recognized her as the Volunteer of the Year for the school! She went to a District luncheon, where other volunteers and community servants were recognized. Beth had been recommended as Volunteer of the Year at the District level as well. Here's her certificate, which I have doctored to protect privacy.
I know she doesn't do it for the recognition- she does it out of love. Not just for our children, but for all of the children she serves. She's a wonderful mother to many children around her, regardless of their actual parentage.
We all appreciate you, too, darling. And you are most definitely Outstanding!

Comments
Post a Comment