Happy Fourth of July!
I had pretty flexible plans for this week - which was good because Tuesday the plan became that we traveled back to my hometown for the funeral of my dad's uncle.
The kids were well behaved given the boring nature of funerals (for kids) and the hot humid graveside service (which was kind of long b/c Uncle Ray was really really community-friendly and had several parties participating at the graveside). I actually enjoyed the events. (And I learned a few things about him that I didn't know before he died.)
(Yes, his casket covered in an American flag from service in the navy is coming off of a fire truck.)
If this were a video, you'd hear the bagpipes playing in the background.
Since he was buried "next door" to his brother-in-law and sister-in-law (who are my grandparents), I got a photo of their marker.
Carolyn added the tiny white flowers on the tombstone. She explained to Natalie that it was respectful to put flowers on a grave.
We turned the afternoon into a field trip and visited old family friends, saw the schools I attended as a child and the house I grew up in, and took very few pictures. :)
I miss the good real bakery donuts from a local Markette gas station near the home I grew up in. So, we brought home a dozen for breakfast Wednesday morning.
Which flavor to eat first??
Then, we jumped into our (new) normal Wednesday morning - Park (even though we were the only ones there), followed by a swim in my aunt's pool. Enjoy our Wednesday adventures (catching baby toads/frogs?, swinging, swimming, learning to dive, jumping and splashing, and relaxing!
We invited more family along for the fun - the more the merrier! Natalie was a great 'horse' for the princess's carriage.
We had an extra for the day - 5...6...what's the difference really?
Well, let me tell you - we spent a lot longer than the girls would have liked in the rooms with the snakes! (Glad Seth got a good long look at all those creatures we usually fly past.)
Kaitlyn wants one of these Blue Iguanas for a pet...guess what I said?
Zoo trip's not complete without a trip on the carousel!
I also took a few pictures of my brother's family as they said goodbye to their first home (they are happy for the changes, but their 3 year old wasn't sure he wanted to say goodbye yet).
Then, Friday, Seth and Rob went with Grandpa to an aviation museum in Charlotte.
(We girls got the shopping done and decorated bikes for the 4th of July parade in our neighborhood.)
And today we joined in with our neighborhood on the annual 4th of July parade (which started with prayer and ended with food and kids activities.) Seth still wanted to go to church for the flag raising there to participate with the other boy scouts, so we sent him with his ym/scout leader.
Kaitlyn is trying to overcome her fear of "mascots" as she calls them all to prepare for things coming later this summer. (I didn't suggest or push this - I think large walking stuffed animals are a strange idea and even though I'm not afraid of them, I have no interest in hugging them or taking pictures with them.) She decided on her own to do this.
And then she helped Alee do the same.
Happy Fourth of July! God Bless America
Comments
Post a Comment