June is almost over - and I think I still have energy left?
I can't believe it will be July this week (and I can't believe that at the beginning of this month school was ending - that seems so long ago and at the same time, like we've barely had summer vacation.)
My last post was June 18th, Thursday, so let's begin after that...
I went grocery shopping on Friday. There are no pictures, well except one of all the training bras the girls could choose from (I left them with Seth during rest time to finish my shopping alone!) I think Carolyn would figuratively die if I posted the bra section picture from Walmart I emailed the girls to choose from!
Saturday, we had a fun day at Memérè and grandpa's house - milkshakes, Disney world planning, crafts, and watching "inside out" at the theater (such a cute movie). …. And everybody was spoiled like the grandkids for the day! :)
Sunday we had a relaxing father's day with a chocolate cake better referred to as death by chocolate!
The next day, Seth left for a week at boy scout camp. They roughed it in the woods. (I'm so glad he had good scout/YM leaders to have boy character building experiences like that while I stay home with my toilet and shower and modern fixtures!)
It was tough, but he survived.
(Meaning, he stayed the duration and didn't come home until it was done. By the end of the week, he was the only one in his patrol who didn't go home with homesickness or a high fever. The sunburn was minimal and so were the scratches. He was certainly blessed.)We needed to thin the (very small but actually growing) garden and got preemie baby carrots. Aren't they so cute? :)
While Seth was gone, we did piano lessons, simple upholstery, library (got to see Lunch Money - so fun! So we bought some of they music), park and swimming, sleepover, and sewing...
Carolyn and Natalie are going to have a red and teal room...and this pink stool just doesn't match.
So we updated it (cost:$3)
She didn't want to use my staple gun, so she just assisted.
And now it does...the rest of the room decor coming soon.
Oh my goodness - I want to teach them all my skills and talents, but sometimes it's so exhausting!
Thursday, we sewed (all day) - at least I did. They sewed in turns.
They were so proud of their pj shorts/skirt (whatever each chose to make).
Total Cost: (free?) - it was all fabric from Rob's grandmother's stash that was passed on after she passed on.Then on Friday and Saturday, rob and I took on our first real upholstery project!
This is how we bought it (back in February!) From a thrift store for $10. (Rob has a chaise lounge in our room and Carolyn wanted one too...and I thought this would be inexpensive doing it myself.)
In May we did this:
We needed to replace everything down to the padding (springs and webbing were fine and so was the structure).
(It took a full 2 hours)
And this is what we began with (and how it has sat in my laundry room (under a sheet b/c burlap stinks) for the last month waiting on a free day to re-upholster it...at least I thought it would only take us a day! hahahaha
For us (DIYers and complete novices to this), it took 2 of us and 2 full days to get it done.
(Technically, it's still not done b/c I didn't realize there were 2 areas that needed hidden stitches, a tack strip, or decorative tacks....so...the outer arms are held in place by stick pins until I buy something to finish it.)
It may not be professional, but it's sturdy and more fluffy and cleaner and cuter than we bought it.
Total cost: about $175 -$180
(includes estimate of the finishing touches I need to buy to finish it)

Comments
Post a Comment