I think I can, I think I can, I think I can…

I don’t write too many “feelings” post…at least I don’t THINK I do? But I’ve been feeling like I’d like to…just so you know how we’re doing…and it’s long – but I put in some pictures!
WAIT – don’t X the page…I’m not going to get all mushy and bragging about me and my kids and how I’m super mom, etc…although they are brilliant, I know.
*They still have plenty of little meltdowns, tantrums, slammed doors, stomping out of rooms, looks that could kill, and monster voices from the prettiest little faces.   :)  (My monster voice still comes out too often too…)

Since we moved here a year ago…





I’ve been playing ‘catch up’, trying to get as much done as I always have (in my mind) in a bigger house and pretending that having 5 kids is just as easy as 4 and control my temper (shocking – I’m not a perfect a mother as some seem to think) :) . (I was told repeatedly that this should be easy after twins. Let me tell you now…having the 5th kid is a challenge no matter if you have had a twin experience or not.)
Nevertheless…the point I’m beating around the bush about is…
I feel like life is under control now* (see above paragraph for disclaimer).
Every time something changes (like school starting), I have to reclaim control from the children. Our most recent change has taken some time getting used to, but I really really enjoy the time I have with just the little three.
The twins are getting quantity time with me they probably haven’t had since they were nursing years ago, Alee is forming a napping schedule around the school schedule, and the older two have just enough time for a little fun in the afternoon (without having too much time to start fights).


Here’s our schedule:

go ahead, think I’m a nerd because I ‘scheduled’ the afternoon! - I AM a nerd…and the schedule is working--and if we’re running behind, we still get them to bed by 8. I cushioned in more time than most things take…I find I have to do that or we feel rushed.
With this plan, I can even get them in bed if Rob’s gone…although it’s easier if he’s not!
I have figured out how much I can handle and how to fit in my fun time.
Examples:
I can do one thing a day. (If I have an errand in the morning for 1-2 hours, that’s it for the day.)
I have to plan WAY ahead for sewing projects so that they’re fun and not stressful. (I can only sew when the big kids are awake and Alee is asleep…b/c my sewing machine is in the playroom, which right now doubles as Seth’s bedroom. so I get an hour or two a week if it’s a good week.) I started halloween costumes a month ago and a gift for a friend having a baby about 3 weeks ago…her shower is still about 2 weeks away and you know when halloween is.
To add something new in the schedule, I have to multi-purpose it. (If I want to exercise, which I do, it will have to be included in something I’m already doing – which is picking up the kids from school. We will begin walking this week…assuming the weather remains pleasant.)
It takes more time to keep up with the house and I have to take this into account and make time for it, or calm my stress over the mess for the time being.


I just felt like I had expressed over the last year my frantic state too often (or perhaps the opposite – maybe I appeared to be juggling glass vases while jumping on a pogo stick) – and neither is the case – I do significantly less than I used to, but I feel content about what I am getting done for now and I’ve figured out (at least for this month) how to juggle 5 children and enjoy it…most of the time :) but not while jumping on a pogo stick (maybe next year) :)

OK, that’s enough rambling…Rob’s probably folding the basket of laundry I left on our bed while I write this, so I’d better go stop him (I still have issues with him ‘taking over’ my jobs…makes me feel slack! Should have been folding laundry instead of reading blogs.)

Comments

kim e said…
You are always on my list of heroes ...and just for the record, don't stop Rob from folding the laundry or doing any other little job- I don't want him to fall off my "great husband, father list"! The pictures always make me smile:)