I want to gripe

So, we went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago (on a Monday) and Wednesday, Carolyn had a fever. She kept saying she was going to "frowed up", but never did. Sunday night, Seth said he thought he was going to throw up, went to the bathroom and did. No fever, and nothing on Monday. Natalie continued with snots the rest of that week (she's had them for about a month, maybe 2...she must have allergies; nobody has a cold that lasts all season long!) Sometimes during the week, she's had a fever on and off, continuing into this week. Last night, she threw up on me (mostly mucus...I know, I'm getting descriptively gross), so I figured, she's fine...just too much congestion, plus the fever, plus her crying all the time just made it all come up. They were all fine except for a light runny nose for Natalie before the doctor's visit!

Today her fever seems higher and her snots are worse. (Don't know what the fever is b/c I can't get that thing in her ear for even three seconds to get a reading and my goodness I am so NOT going to stick one up her butt for 1-2 minutes!) All I have is cold and cough medicine or tylenol. So I called the pediatrician to see if I can give her both since I am NOT dragging four kids out to get the cold and cough with tylenol built in. I assume the answer is yes, but I think I'm being a responsible parent by checking.

I called and left a message. They called me back. So it turns out (I think I heard this, but I'm reminded) - the cold and cough medicine for children under 2 (preferably for under 6, which includes all four of mine) is supposed to be 'recalled' or taken off the shelf. Something about parents and not dosing right. And she said it didn't really work for children so young. (Seems to work just fine on mine.) To use that, you are supposed to come in and the doctor will tell you (like a Rx, but for over the counter medicine) if you are to give the cold and cough to your child. So I just gave her the tylenol and hung up grumbling.

So, let's summarize: Cold and cough medicine for children is not to be given to young children. If you think your child needs it, you are to make an appointment and go to the doctor for him to prescribe it for your child. And the medicine doesn't really work for children that young anyways.

So, I'm supposed to drag all four children (three of which are still pretty healthy) to the germy doctor (where they picked up the fever germ in the first place) to get a prescription for an overthe counter medicine that I could have bought without the $25 copay, and then go home and use it even though "it doesn't really work for children that young anyways"!?!?? What a load of crap! I'm not an idiot; I know how to use a dosing cup (if anything mine don't get enough b/c they spit out some and leave residue in the cup).

OK. I'm done now.

For some cute news, Kaitlyn fed herself applesauce this morning without dropping but a few teaspoons on herself. Seth and Carolyn fixed their own toast and buttered it. Seth poured his own chocolate milk. And Carolyn got the chocolate milk out of the fridge all by herself (she didn't get the option to try pouring it for herself...I did mop yesterday afterall.) They're getting so independent. Now, if they'd only learn to clean up their own mess...which is what I must go do now! Happy fourth!

Comments

LaNelle said…
Ok I know you were annoyed, but your story made me laugh! I would have thought the exact same thing you thought. Sometimes doctors are so incredibly retarded! We have been having some trouble with stupid doctors out here, which I was actually going to blog about and may still. Anyway...I'm glad you aren't retarded and I hope that the Natalie gets better!
I like my kids' pediatrician...it's the nurses that aggravate the snot out of me (or maybe I should say out of Natalie...haha). I hope you like your OB/GYN b/c you're going to be seeing him/her a lot more! :)
I don't like anybody! Every person in public is a raging lunatic without any indication of brain activity. I hate the world!!
kim e said…
I think old Doctor Morphis is still the best!
Jean said…
Doctors are all the same....they have to "see" your child before giving out meds...I know in my case it is usually necessary but still annoying because everytime we go to the pediatrician for one thing we always catch another thing!!! I hope Natalie gets to feeling better and you don't have to make a special trip to the doctor...do keep an eye on the fever though...I always worry about that! I know, I know...it's the mom in me, I just can't help it..hahaha!
Orr Family said…
So, I am a bad mother! When I heard all the good medicine was being pulled, I ran out a bought a ton! I know doctors say it does not work on younger children, but when they sleep through the night, their fever goes down, and the snot stops running, something is working! If we still lived there, I could let you buy a bottle, but it would not be cheap! I still have more babies coming you know!! We have had colds here all week too, it just shows you, you can get a cold in beautiful Hawaii! I also hate how doctors do not listen to the mothers at all! I think I know my child better than a doctor that sees my child once every 3 to 6 months! Oh well, they will survive and grow up semi normal right! Take care!
I thought about doing the same thing (buying a bunch before they took it off the shelves), but it has an expiration date on it, and now we have two opened bottles that expire within the next year, so we wouldn't be able to use anymore than that before it all went bad. (Natalie is much happier today and slept well last night. I'm giving her more today - b/c it works!)
So, Emily actually ran out and got a bunch of it before it went off the shelve too. By the way you can always ask my mom if you have a dosing question. She can always look it up! And it saves a trip to the doctor! I feel you pain! I have dealing with Doctors sometime!